Monday, April 04, 2005

The Pope and Dave Matthews

John Paul II is no longer with us.

But the legacy of his life, his work and his love remains as evidence of there being a Greater Power. 26 years as the head of the Catholic church, and many more as a man of the cloth. It's exceedingly humbling to acknowledge that such a man could exist in this day and age.

His work changed lives, it broke down communism, it brought warring nations to the peace table, it told us that money doesnt make the world go round. How is it that one man could impact the lives of so many? A mighty man indeed.

How is it that we, even with our human propensity for destruction, violence and anger, can put aside these "differences" to venerate one man? and in the blink of an eye, once the man is forgotten, return to our back-stabbing, murderous ways?

History will remeber John Paul II. Historians will mark his birthday and departure on calendars. Theologians will argue over his reforms. Catholics will mourn, and honour his memory. How will I remeber the Pope? probably for the next few days i will remeber him, and then... ill conveniently gloss over all of this.

pathetic carbon based lifeforms.

Dave said:
Where Are you going?
With your long face, pulling down,
Dont hide away, like an ocean,
That you can't see, but you can
Smell and the sound
The waves crash down. . .

I am no superman
I have no answers for you
I am no hero, oh, that's for sure
But I do know one thing,
Where you are is where I belong
I do know where you go is where I want to be

Where Are you going?
Where do you go?
Are you looking for answers
To questions under the stars
And if along the way
You are growing weary
You can rest with me until a brighter day
You're okay . . .

I am no Superman
I have no answers for you
I am no hero, ohhh that's for sure
But I do know one thing,
Where you are is where I belong
I do know where you go, is where I want to be

Where are you going?
Where do you go?

Where do you go?
Where are you going?
Where do you go?

I am no superman
I have no answers for you
I am no hero, oh, that's for sure
But I do know one thing,
Where you are is where I belong
I do know where you go is where I want to be

Where are you going?
Where do you go?
Tell me where are you going?
Well . . . . let's go


where am i going?

1 Comments:

At 12:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well... let's just say, somewhere along the journey, you decided to sit down and take a break. you watched the cars pass you by, first the dusty ratty ones and then the sedans, and finally the flashy beamers.. all revving their engines, all seeming to head somewhere.. and you think did i miss out?

but then there's always God sitting right beside you and He's listening and waiting for you to work things out.
and when you need to start moving that butt... you can be sure that He will give you a shove and say "all right.. enough jonah, My will is to be done. go to nineveh"

we are going somewhere... maybe we don't have a clue. but i put my faith in His eyes :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home