Sunday, September 25, 2005

Notorius P.I.D featuring starfish

"Prolapsed intervertebral disc is a condition where the gelatinous nucleus pulposus squeezes through the annulus fibrosus and bulges in a posterior or posterolateral direction, beneath the posterior longitudinal ligament. This causes pressure symptoms on the root below the level of herniation - most commonly S1, then L5, then L4. Other defects are rarer, and higher defects ought to be investigated for other causes."

P.I.D.

Its been seven years since the initial accident that gave me this problem.
Almost 5 years to the date of my accident during my army days which caused a recurrence and subsequently degenerative process from a compression of the lumbar vertebrae to full fledged PID

"Lumbar disc degenerative lesions most commonly occur at L4/5 and L5/S1. Prolapse of the disc is more likely in a young person secondary to degenerative - spondylotic - disc changes and following an awkward lift or other strain. In middle-aged people, root compression in the lumbar region may be associated with hypertrophic degenerative disease - spondylosis. Lateral disc protrusion typically only affects the nerve roots, whilst a central disc protrusion may compress the cauda equina: this is a neurological emergency."

L5S1, the fifth lumbar vertebrae, and the first saccral one. has shown considerable loss of disc height. great, one more obvious sign that im shorter than i need to be.
apparently, my condition isnt unique, in fact, its one of the most common spinal injuries. most people suffer from back problems, stiffness, decreased mobility. but, most people don't get tingling sensations down their legs.

"Conservative measures may be sufficient in 90% of cases:

bed rest - for 6 weeks on an orthopaedic mattress, or with a hard board under the mattress
pain relief - NSAID and diazepam"


now, i couldnt agree more with the reccomended treatment. i'd love 6 weeks off.
sadly, if i did that, i wouldnt be able to afford the pain relief. btw, don't be a dumb ass like me and take pain meds, forget that i've taken them, drink my last beer, and end up being trippy the whole day.

so, the notorius P.I.D, has resurfaced and has reared his ugly face. 2pac Diazepam needs to gun him down all over again.



i got to talk to tom today :D


I saw a starfish on the ground
He was half buried in the sand
Just so out of place and ahh
He was a long long way from home
I was a long long way from home
And so we talked a little while
Then I shook his hands....and I
I was a long long way from home

starfish rock

1 Comments:

At 6:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i read the first paragraph.. and you lost me after prolapsed intervertebral disc.

but ol' tom is glad to have communicated as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home